Tourist attractions

The dominant building is the Church of St. Nikolas. The church was built soon after the foundation of the village. The first written reference of it is from 1378. The Church of St. Nikolas was most likely built due to its proximity to a citadel (now a parish garden) just south of the church. Sanctification to St. Nikolas is part of older sanctifications indicating thirteenth-century dating, or even earlier. During the Thirty Years’ War the church was plundered and burnt down by Swedish mercenaries. Only twenty years after the war, with financial support from the local baron, the remaining inhabitants finished renovation of the church. A significant feature was the three linden trees planted by school pupils in 1889 as a commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the rule of Francis Joseph I. The last linden tree was razed during a storm on 1st of March 2008.

On 12th of November 1998 the Ministry of Culture pronounced the parish church as cultural heritage. The church has united the people of Nevojice and maintained the village integrity since it was built. It was the only educational centre before the school was built and a hymn book was the only book written in Czech to be seen back then. It was called the village “conservatory” as knowledge, traditions and faith were passed from generation to generation here and remains as a testimony of locals’ ancestors’ persistence and devotion to faith and education. It is a popular motif for artists., one cannot help noticing.

Statue of the Virgin Mary of Lourdes

Financed by the Marie Surá of Nesovice Trust the village ordered a statue of the Virgin Mary of Lourdes to be built in 1900. In 1999, financed by the village, this sandstone statue was renovated as well as two inscriptions on the statue pedestal.  During a storm in 2008 a linden tree fell on the statue and demolished it. The renovation is planned for 2009.

Monument for the Dead

In 1945 a stone monument was built by the road to the church. It is dedicated to Nevojice citizens who died during the First and Second World Wars.
Cross by the bridge over the Litava River
In 1919 a white marble cross was built by the bridge over the Litava River as a reminder of the suffering of Nevojice citizens during the First World War. A small statue of the Virgin Mary is now missing from the cross alcove.

Red Cross

The Red Cross was indicated on a map as early as 1763 including lettering “By the Red cross” in German. Jan Klementa from Bučovice financed its renovation in 1985. It is a local landmark; “by the Red cross” being a means of direction-giving.

Anniversary Stone

In 1898, in the middle of a forest way, not far from “bohuslavice” path local workers raised a sandstone mound with memorial tablet to commemorate the 40th anniversary of  the Nevojice governor. Ten years later a limestone ashlar was added bearing the inscription “to the 50th anniversary of John of Lichtenstein ruling”. After 1945 the mound was destroyed and only the limestone remained. In 2001, Jan Klementa from Bučovice financed a new mound and the limestone was built in.

Nature and Cultural Interests

A twenty-minute ascent through the Ždánice Forest (mainly deciduous) leads to a net of public footpaths suitable for cycling. These lead to Haluzice, Kyjov, Lovčice,  Ždánice and Bučovice - following a sierra trail of Ždánice Forest to Lovčičky, Bošovice and  Rajhradice. Ždánice Forest has colour coded tourist routes making it very suitable for walks. These tourist routes lead to Haluzice, Bukovany, Lovčice, Ždánice and Kloboučky. In summer mushroom-picking is possible and in winter there is cross-country skiing. Several broad-leaved forests are found north of the village in the region of upland Orlovice. Jitřenka summer camp - with a swimming pool - is situated in a forest valley 30 minutes walk south of the village.
Easter traditions “klepání” (rattling traditional rattles during the week prior to Easter Monday) and “mrskut” (whipping girls with willow branches on Easter Monday) are still kept alive along with an Easter carnival parade with bear walking. A recommendation for tourists is map No.90 “Slovácko, Chřiby a jižní Haná” (scale 1:50.000), published by the Czech Tourist Club.

Nature Reserves

The road I/50 marks the northern boundary of the Nature park of Ždánický Forest. In the north of the area are the wildlife reserves Malhotky, Roviny and Hašky with pontic flora. In 1998 the linden and chestnut tree alley in the village also became a wildlife reserve.

Nearby places of interest

Bučovice – Renaissance Imperial mansion from the second half of the sixteenth-century, built according to the plans of Italian architect, Pietro Ferrabosca di Laino. Within the mansion is Bučovice Museum with a permanent exhibition of Bučovice history.
10 km west of Bučovice is Slavkov town with a Baroque Imperial mansion from the seventeenth-century, built according to the plans of Domenico Martinelli. A painting exhibition can be found here as well as an exhibition on the Battle of Austerlitz (1805)

This project is co-financed by the European Union.
Evropská umie ROP

Nevojice

Villages
E-mail registration
MAS
JMK
Saturday
26.09.2020
Andrea

Svazek obcí Mezihoří,
Nemotice 66, 683 33 Nesovice
info@somezihori.cz
+420 517 367 523

Česky Deutch English